I really feel like pharmacy school has been on major steroids lately (no pun intended). The days have been super long, sometimes I spend over 12 hours at school. I can’t ever find time to study or I am totally exhausted after these long days. I have a pharmaceutical chemistry midterm tomorrow, which I just started studying for at 12pm this afternoon (and should be studying for right now). In addition, I have a midterm on Friday too and a presentation to give right after (did I mention I’m not a big fan of public speaking?), another midterm Monday then an oral exam Wednesday. I have been trying to not have a breakdown but the stress has been constant all week. At least I found a little joy in these delicious chocolate chip and walnut oatmeal cookies. They are so flavorful and soft and chewy just the way I like cookies to be. Besides the butter and sugar, these guys are healthy too-walnuts are a great source of omega 3 and oats add fiber (http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/moodfood.htm). So far they have been helping with all of this stress
Soft, Chewy Chocolate Chip & Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a KitchenAid standalone mixer with paddle attachment (or electric mixer), cream butter and sugar together.
- Add vanilla and egg and mix on low speed.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a separate bowl, and add a little at a time while mixing on low speed.
- Add oats and mix until just blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts by hand with a large spoon.
- Using a cookie scooper (or teaspoon), drop round balls of cookie dough on a baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden brown. Do not overbake or cookies will be too hard.
- Transfer to a cooling rack using a spatula.
Makes 16 small cookies
This post is sponsored by: