This past Monday was our 2 year wedding anniversary, and after thinking for a while about what cake I wanted to make to celebrate, I decided on this banana cake decorated with funfetti frosting. The bananas make the cake very moist, and decrease the amount of butter required, making it a little healthier! Of course the frosting negates my attempt in making a healthier anniversary cake, but I love funfetti frosting so much and just couldn’t leave it off. Plus, it makes the cake so much prettier! For a healthier version, you can omit the frosting – the cake is delicious just by itself!
I am so happy it is the weekend! This week was busy for me, and I had to commute almost an hour to work and back for a few days. This weekend I just want to eat, watch movies, sleep in, and go to the gym! The last is a MUST after eating this yummy banana cake all week 😉
What are your plans for the weekend?
- 1 ripe banana
- ⅓ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk (can use milk + 1 tbsp white vinegar as a sub)
- **NOTE this recipe makes 1 8x8 square cake; for 9x13, double the recipe!**
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Add the bananas to a stand mixer with paddle attachment and cream by mixing on medium speed (can also mash by hand).
- Add the butter and sugar and continue to mix until blended.
- Add the vanilla and egg and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the mixer alternately with the buttermilk and blend well.
- Transfer to the greased baking pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean to make sure it is done! Do not over-bake, it will be dry.
- Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack before frosting.