Layered with potatoes, onion, ham, and cheese sauce, this au gratin dish is great as a side for a holiday dinner, but also makes a hearty main casserole dish. The potatoes come out tender and cheesy, and the top crusted with a delicious breadcrumb mixture. Prepare ahead of time, because this dish takes over an hour to bake (but it is soo worth it!).
|Potatoes and Ham Au Gratin||
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 4 thick lunchmeat slices of ham (I use Trader Joe’s Healthy Ham)
- 1/8 cup butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF.
- Thinly slice potatoes and layer them in 8×8 casserole dish until bottom is covered. [img src=”http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/P1020767.jpg” /]
- Slice onions.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add onions. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pepper, salt, and flour and stir until blended and mixture is bubbly.
- Stir in milk and almost all of the cheese (save a little to sprinkle over the top at the very end) and stir constantly until boiling (about 1 minute).
- Pour 1/2 sauce over potatoes, then add 1 layer of ham slices on top.
- Add another layer of sliced potatoes to cover the ham.
- Pour remaining 1/2 of cheese sauce over potatoes evenly. [img src=”http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/P1020768.jpg” /]
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- Mix cheese, bread crumbs, and paprika and sprinkle over top. Bake additional 15 minutes uncovered until top is golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving warm.