For many of us, the holiday season brings up special memories. Many of the best memories I have during the holiday season revolves around homemade food made by my mom and grandma. Our family loves to get together during the holidays and gather at my grandma’s house (or sometimes mine!). Each family brings a special dish, and my mom and grandma work really hard to prepare a homemade holiday menu that includes appetizers, main dishes, sides, and of course dessert!
I have so many great holiday recipes for holiday dishes, but today I want to share a new one made by me. These southwest pinwheels are a new appetizer I tried recently and love! The pinwheels are really easy to prepare ahead of time, and they make great finger food for your dinner party guests. They are like little vegetarian wraps, packed full of mildly spicy flavor. There are so many ingredients I could have added to these, but I tried to keep it simple. Think of this as a base recipe that you can add to and make it your own. What about cilantro, shredded chicken, or beans? The options are endless…
To make these southwest pinwheels, all of the ingredients are stirred in a mixing bowl and spread onto tortillas. The tortillas are then rolled up, chilled in the refrigerator, and sliced into pinwheels. I used Mezzetta Artisan Blend olives, which add really great flavor to these pinwheels and serve as the “meat” since I made them vegetarian.
What is your favorite holiday memory?
Mezzetta Holiday Memories Sweepstakes
Mezzetta is hosting a holiday sweepstakes where you can enter to win:
• Grand Prize (1) – Instant Print Digital Camera plus a Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card.
• Runner Up Prizes (10) – Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card.
Enter by 12/31 to win here – It only takes a second to enter!
Winners will be randomly chosen and contacted within 2 weeks.
- 8 flour tortillas
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup medium picante sauce
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup chopped Mezzetta artisan blend olives, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup freshly chopped chives
- ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Stir the cream cheese, sour cream, picante sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, olives, chives and cheese in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon until evenly blended.
- Spread about ⅓ cup onto each tortilla (add more if you think it needs) and roll up.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Slice into 1 to 1½-inch pieces and chill, covered, until ready to serve.