I love this frosting recipe for two reasons: it is not too sweet like store-bought frosting and it keeps its shape well without getting hard. Perfect for decorating cupcakes or cakes. It makes about 1 cup of frosting, or enough for 12 cupcakes (if you like tons of frosting on your cupcakes, I recommend doubling this recipe!)
|Buttercream Cupcake Frosting||
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and vanilla about 2 minutes on high speed with a handmixer.
- Blend in 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar.
- Once blended, add the remaining 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar.
- Add 1 tbsp milk and mix on medium speed until fluffy. [img src=”http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/buttercream-frosting.jpg” /]
- Keep covered and refrigerated until ready to use.