Spring is here! This year, the seasons went from Fall -> Spring, pretty much skipping winter all together. I missed the snow in Tahoe, and I barely got to wear my scarves and boots. In celebration of Spring, I recreated one of the first recipes I posted on here: Mom’s Lemon Bars. I think they are the perfect Spring dessert, and worth posting again The crust is very light and the filling is made with fresh-squeezed lemons. I used to love making these with my mom! The recipe is hers (thanks, Mom!).
Dust them with confectioners’ sugar for a finished look, and serve chilled.
Today was my day off, which looked like this: gym, cooking, cleaning, pjs, tea, more cooking, reading, and catching up on a few episodes of my favorite show. I got a lot of stares at the gym today. I wanted to yell, “YES I’m pregnant and my belly is getting huge!” Only eleven weeks to go, the time is going by incredibly fast. For the past few months I have been working a lot, which explains the lack of posts since forever….sorry about that. It’s so sad how I’ve had to basically choose between work and my kitchen. Now I only have time to cook on the weekends, if we are here, and some nights when I am not too exhausted from working. I hope I can get back in my kitchen soon!
What is your favorite Spring dessert?
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- Add all crust ingredients to a stand mixer and mix with paddle attachment until crumbly.
- Press the crust into the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and decrease the heat to 300 degrees F.
- Add the filling ingredients to the cleaned mixing bowl and beat together until well blended.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool, then sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the top.
- Keep refrigerated.