Happy Labor Day!
Summer is almost over (except here in San Francisco, where it is just beginning), so enjoy those summertime BBQs while you still can! This creamy cucumber salad recipe is one of my favorite sides to bring to a summer BBQ. It is really refreshing on a hot summer day, and I love love love the creamy herbed dressing. It is very easy to prepare, too. What is the secret to a non-runny cucumber salad, you ask? Paper towels! Make sure to drain the cucumbers by adding salt, letting it stand, and then pressing the excess water out with a paper towel before tossing with the dressing so it doesn’t become too runny.
Did you go anywhere for Labor Day weekend, or just relax at home? I had to work the past 4 days in a row, and finally have the day off today. My only plans for the day are relaxing at the beach and enjoying this beautiful weather outside today!
- 3 large organic cucumbers
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp dried or fresh dill weed
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Use a mandolin or sharp knife to thinly slice the cucumbers (careful!).
- Add the cucumbers and salt to a mixing bowl and mix. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Press the excess water out of the cucumbers with a paper towel.
- Add the red onions to the cucumbers.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a bowl and stir.
- Use a spatula to transfer the dressing to the cucumbers and toss well.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to eat.