This weekend we are in Los Angeles for a wedding and to visit family. It is so hot, but I sort of miss this “real” summer weather since in San Francisco it never gets hot. Speaking of summer, don’t you just love all of the fresh summer vegetables? I found this great recipe on Cooking Light for a simple mixed summer vegetable side that went great with this apricot-glazed grilled chicken. This healthy dish is so easy to make, especially on busy week night! The vegetables are just cooked with a little olive oil and do not need much seasoning – their flavors really come out and mix very well together once simmered in a cast iron skillet. You can add jalapeño for a spicy twist, and make a vegetable salsa! Skip the carbs, or serve with scalloped potatoes for complete dinner meal.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup apricot preserves
- ½ tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp all-spice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 medium zucchini squash, quartered
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced shallots
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet on medium heat, then add chopped vegetables (except for the shallots).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat at stir in the shallots.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat indoor grill pan.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with paprika, all spice and nutmeg, then rub all over.
- Coat with apricot preserves.
- Grill for about 7 minutes to internal temperature of 165 degrees F, moving position occasionally. Continue to spread apricot preserves over the chicken to glaze occasionally.
- Garnish vegetables with parsley and serve over the chicken.
Charred Summer Vegetable Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.
I love apricot chicken. I hope you have a lovely weekend away. My sister lives in LA and she says it’s very hot there xx
I bet that sweetness works great with the chicken 😀
i love this sweet savory combination
Your chicken looks fantastic!
Delish! I can always count on you to post an amazing looking, healthy dish. Hope you had a fun time at the wedding!