Today is a good day. 1) It is FRIDAY 2) It is the last day of my pediatrics rotation (which I loved and will dearly miss, but I am one step closer to graduating!) 3) I am going on vacation!! 4) these salted chocolate caramel cookies. I made these for a housewarming party last week, but didn’t get any for myself. I lovvve caramel! Together with chocolate = heaven. These chocolate caramel cookies have caramel in the middle and drizzled on top, then sprinkled with sea salt to give them a savory touch. Sometimes savory and sweet go so well together!
Am I the only one who cringes at the thought of being without a laptop for 1 week? I decided that if I bring my laptop with me, I will somehow end up working. I am such a work-a-holic, and it has gotten worse and worse over the past few years – to the point where I can’t even enjoy a vacation without working on my laptop for part of it!! One time when I went on vacation my site went down for 3 days – that was fun!! Now I am always scared to unplug for longer than a few days. For this vacation, I am leaving my laptop at home. I just know I will be going into withdrawals after 1 day!
Enjoy these yummy cookies, & have a great weekend!
- ½ cup butter (1 stick, room temperature)
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 caramel squares, halved (plus extra for decoration)
- Sea salt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). In a mixing bowl, beat room temperature butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until creamed together. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork.
- Add flour/cocoa/baking soda/salt mixture a little at a time into butter/sugar/eggs/vanilla mixture by beating at low speed until well blended.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out balls of batter and shape with your fingers around ½ caramel square. This part might be a little messy!
- Drop the balls of dough onto cookie sheets, leaving an inch around each cookie drop.
- If oven is still preheating, let chill in refrigerator for a few minutes (I find this helps the cookies keep their shape).
- Place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not over-bake or cookies will be hard. Let cool 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Melt extra caramel in microwave, 10 seconds at a time until melted, then transfer to a ziplock bag with a hole cut in the corner and drizzle over the cookies.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
Oh sweet lord, sweet and salty goodnessss!!!
Oh my gosh! I love chocolate and caramel together and your cookies look delish! Sorry you didn’t get any! I would have snuck at least half a batch for myself. Enjoy your computer free vacation!!
Congrats on finishing one more rotation! These are definitely cookies worth the celebration.
Here’s to no laptops on vaca! I’m not sure about you but I get withdrawl symptoms…
The cookies look amazing! I just…I can’t…I don’t know what to say. I just want to make them right now!
The best flavor combination in the world. Thanks for the share.
Oh goodness, I stumble upon your blog and I fall for a cookie with caramel. Love the recipe.
These look wonderful! I’ll bet the flavor was terrific. I never travel without a laptop – there’s always so much that needs checking, and it’s easier to steal a few minutes from vacation than it is to face a huge backlog of stuff when I return. Have a great vacation!
These look so good! I didn’t get a chance to cook this weekend because of Outside Lands, so I’m excited to put this on my recipe rotation this week as you finish your rotation 🙂
I also loveeee caramel. And salted caramel is my absolute favorite. I don’t know if I’ve ever tried salted caramel in cookie form with chocolate. I am liking the idea 🙂
Kristi. Those. Look. Amazing. The salted caramel is bringing to mind these cookies my friend made for a party–I think they were a Martha Stewart recipe with salted caramel and buttery coconut cookies…I’m not even a big fan of coconut but they were TO DIE FOR. These chocolatey ones look almost even better!! 🙂