There are only a few recipes that I know by heart, and pizza is one of them. I am always so impressed by people who can whip up a perfect meal without even looking at a cookbook. No matter how many times I cook a certain recipe, I rarely memorize it. My iPad is always at my side when I am in the kitchen!
I have been wanting to try a BBQ chicken pizza recipe for a while, but the problem is that I don’t like red onions, and my husband doesn’t like cilantro, two ingredients you usually find on BBQ chicken pizzas! Instead, I came up with my own version and used thin slices of yellow onion and green onion. I also used creme fraiche for the base, which you don’t typically find on traditional BBQ chicken pizzas, but I thought it went really well! If you want to make a lighter version, leave out the creme fraiche and just spread a thin layer of olive oil on the dough before topping with light shredded mozzarella cheese. I LOVE thin crust pizzas because they get nice and crispy in the oven, and by making thin crust pizza you cut down the carbs quite a bit.
I can’t believe it is Monday already! The weather was pretty gloomy this weekend in the city, so we had a relaxing weekend at home (except for a fun trip to IKEA today for some “window shopping”). Have a great week!
- 2 tsp dry RapidRise yeast (or 1 package)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2¼ to 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 7.5 oz creme fraiche
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- Add yeast, sugar and warm water to a large bowl and allow yeast to proof for 7 minutes (should turn foamy).
- Add salt, olive oil, and flour and mix with a hook attachment on a stand mixer or by hand with a wooden spoon, adding the flour in a little at a time until the dough does not stick to the bowl anymore.
- Knead with floured hands on a floured surface for 10 minutes, then return to the bowl and cover for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and let rise while preparing the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add chicken breasts to a baking dish and pour ½ cup BBQ sauce evenly over the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes.
- Cube the chicken breasts and set aside.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half on a floured surface as thin as you can.
- Stretch the dough over a greased large pizza pan, then repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Evenly divide the creme fraiche among the two pizzas, then top with pepper and mozzarella cheese.
- Evenly divide the green and yellow onion over the two pizzas, then top with the cubed BBQ chicken.
- Drizzle with extra BBQ sauce, if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are crispy and golden brown.