Yawwwwwnnn it’s Monday once again! I got up at 6:00am to get to the library early this morning and study for my therapeutics exams this week. One coffee later and I’m still not awake :/ Last night we went to our friend’s apartment to have dinner: caprese salad, a delicious pumpkin pasta, and homemade chocolate cream pie for dessert. I find this chocolate cream pie recipe is rich, too rich for some. I am a chocolate lover, so I love it! It makes an easy dessert for dinner parties, and you can make mini pies for two. I usually make my own graham cracker pie crust, but this time I used the store-bought kind and made the chocolate filling and whipped topping from scratch. The most fun part is decorating it. You can use sliced almonds and chocolate shavings (use a peeler and scrap a dark chocolate bar over the pie) to dress it up really nice. You can find the whipped topping recipe here.
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cups semisweet baker's chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Add chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract in a heat-proof mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan away from heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt.
- Whisk in ¼ cup of cold heavy cream until the mixture is smooth. Repeat with another ¼ cup of the cream.
- Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly and boil for 1 minute as mixture thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over chocolate and butter and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Place plastic wrap over the top layer to prevent skin formation on the surface and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Scoop into pie shell with a spatula and smooth out.
- Pipe whipping cream over the top, and top with sliced almonds and chocolate shavings if desired.
This post is sponsored by:
I’ve recently been obsessed with pies (they’re like the new cupcakes). I love chocolate cream too as well as seasonal fruit pies! Looks great 🙂
Even though I love chocolate, fruit pies are still my favorite! 🙂 Thanks!!
Looks delicious! I would so love to chow down on a big plate of that!
Thanks Spencer =)!
Super creamy and chocolately…LOVED!
So glad you liked it Mary!!
Old-fashioned goodness in a chocolatey pie. No wonder this particular dessert never goes out of style.
Thanks so much for this recipe-I made it last weekend for my family and everyone LOVED it! It is so rich and creamy 🙂
OMG!!! luv this pie!!!! its so creamy! my famliy loved it!!!! luv your vanilla frosting! thanks!