One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is a slice of bread with cocoa almond spread. Recently I discovered how easy it is to make it from scratch at home. You just need some roasted almonds, cocoa powder, sugar, honey, canola/coconut oil and a blender/food processor. I used my Magic Bullet blender, and it took some patience, but was worth it in the end! The almonds take a while to break down into a creamy consistency (about 15 minutes of pulsing the blender and stirring for me!). You can make is as sweet as you want by adding honey or granulated sugar. This delicious spread is full of healthy fats and protein and makes a great snack. Try it with bread or apple slices!
I am almost halfway through my general medicine rotation. I have gotten used to the pace and daily routine, but I still feel tired all of the time. I have been waking up at 5am everyday, so by the time I get home I am ready to sleep! I wish we could take naps in the middle of the day.
- 1 cup unsalted roasted almonds
- 1 and ½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2-3 tbsp canola or coconut oil
- Add almonds and cocoa powder to a blender or food processor with flat blade attachment.
- Pulse several times, then add sugar and honey.
- Pulse a few more times, then add the oil.
- Alternate between pulsing and stirring the almond spread around until you get a creamy consistency (depending on your blender/food processor, this could take up to 15 minutes).