A faint taste of honey adds a little of flavor to these whole wheat rolls. These honey wheat swirl rolls are easy to make and look very appealing. They are a great addition to any dinner dish. Serve warm with butter.
|Honey Wheat Swirl Rolls||
Recipe Type: Side
Prep time: 2 hours 30 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 2 hours 42 mins
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Extra melted butter for brushing tops
- In a large bowl, pour warm water over yeast and let stand 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, butter, and egg and stir with a fork.
- Add flour, a little at a time, and stir.
- On a floured surface, knead dough for about 10 minutes until elastic. Add as much flour as needed during kneading.
- Cover and place somewhere warm and let rise for 1 hour (or until doubled).
- Punch dough down, and continue to let rise for 30 minutes covered.
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
- Roll a 6×14 inch rectangle on a floured surface, and cut into 12 even strips, each about 1 inch thick.
- Roll each strip and set spiral facing up in a greased muffin pan.
- Brush tops with melted butter and set in a warm place uncovered for 40 minutes (or until doubled). [img src=”http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/breadrolls2.jpg” /]
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not overbake, as the whole wheat flour tends to dry out more than all-purpose flour.
- Immediately remove from muffin pan and place on a cooling rack to cool, or bread roll basket and cover to keep warm if serving immediately. [img src=”http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/P1040051.jpg” /]
Makes 12 rolls
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe