Brrrr! The temps keep dropping in SF. I told you guys I have been obsessed with soups lately, right? My grandma gave me a soup cookbook a while ago, and I have been trying more of the recipes out from it recently because of the cooler weather we have been having here in the city. The last soup recipe I made from it was this red lentil soup. At first I was skeptical because I saw it used red onion instead of yellow onion. I have never made a soup with only red onion before, so I was worried about how it would turn out. Otherwise, it looked delicious, so I figured why not give it a try! In the end, I didn’t taste the red onion at all. The parsnip gave the soup a really nice flavor, and the lentils created a thick texture. It was delicious!
This is my first time participating in the Sunday Supper Movement – the mission to bring back Sunday Supper around the family table in every home through this weekly virtual recipe party. I can’t wait to read other recipes from this week’s Sunday Supper (see below), and share more recipes with you guys in support of this wonderful mission.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Cool the soup to room temperature, then blend in batches and return to the pot to reheat.
Recipe adapted from 100 Best Fresh Soups
More Warming Recipes from the Sunday Supper Community:
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.