These snowball cookies are also known as Mexican wedding cakes. They are flaky, buttery and melt in your mouth. The original snowball cookie recipe calls for chopped pecans, but I omitted the pecans and added chocolate in the middle instead. I can’t decide which type I like better, but whichever version you make I guarantee you will be satisfied 🙂 I made these with my mom every Christmas along with many other holiday treats to give to the neighbors, my teachers, my dad’s coworkers, and our family and friends, and they have been a family favorite for years.
Snowball Surprise Cookies
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1⅛ cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Optional: 1 cup chopped pecans
- Extra powdered sugar to roll cookies
- Cream together softened butter and powdered sugar in a standalone mixer.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift flour and salt, and add slowly to mixer.
- Once blended, add cream.
- Gather in a ball with hands and wrap in wax paper.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
- Once chilled, use a knife to cut small pieces of dough off from the ball (about 1 inch).
- Massage with hands, switching from hand to hand and squeezing the dough.
- Roll into a ball with hands, and slice in half.
- Press 2-4 chocolate chips into each half, and press back together and roll into a ball again.
- Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 ºF.
- Remove from oven and immediately roll in a mound of powdered sugar on a plate, and place on another plate to cool for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, roll a second time in powdered sugar.
Makes 12 cookies
This post is participating in Tuesday Talent Show, Foodie Friday and Sweet Indulgences Sunday! Check it out!
My new favorite Christmas cookie!!
I love a little surprise in my cookie. And, isn’t chocolate the best surprise of all? These look wonderful. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.
I was going to make these today with mini chips but these look delicious! Can’t wait to eat them all =o)
MMM mini chips sounds like a great idea! Maybe I will try that next time…you can never have enough chocolate 😉