This stuffed green bell pepper recipe is adapted from Emeril Lagasse’s Mr. John’s Meat-Stuffed Bell Peppers from Food Network in 2003. It always comes out so flavorful and perfect every time! I can never eat a whole stuffed pepper myself, so I like to cut them in half and bake them with a toothpick holding the two halves together. There are so many stuffed pepper variations I want to try, but here is one for the meat lovers out there!
Stuffed Green Bell Pepper Halves
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp garlic salt (sub salt)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup tomato sauce (season as desired with oregano, basil, etc.)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Boil peppers 2-3 minutes then remove.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and minced garlic and stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef, parsley, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes. Stir occasionally.
- When meat is browned, add the rice, water, tomato paste and tomato sauce and stir well. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom.
- Remove tops of bell peppers and with a spoon carve out seeds and white parts.
- Slice peppers in half and fill with the rice mixture.
- Put peppers back together, closing with toothpicks.
- Place in the baking dish and bake until the peppers are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove and immediately open and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on tops.
Thanks so much for linking up at Foodie Friday. These look so good and I am a sucker for bell peppers. Pinning this to my Main Dishes board. Thanks again!
Thanks for the recipe. I always do stuffed green pepper halves — I don’t put the halves together to cook, I just try to cut in half so that each side can sit mostly upright and that the filling stays in!