This sweet and sour tofu dish is perfect for a quick, easy and healthy vegan weeknight dinner. I also like to make it for meal prep and warm it up for a quick lunch during the week. There are essentially three steps to make this delicious sweet and sour tofu recipe. First, prep the tofu and pop it in the oven to get nice and crispy. Then, make the sauce with fresh ingredients such as ginger and garlic (I like to make the sauce in my Thermomix® since it can chop and cook and thicken all in the same bowl!). Finally, make the side – my favorite sides to pair with this sweet and sour tofu are rice or rice noodles. Hello crispy tofu tossed with a sweet and sour sticky sauce with chopped pineapple and veggies!
Sweet and Sour Tofu
1 12-oz package firm tofu
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup corn starch
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
2 garlic cloves
150 g tomato paste
75 g rice wine vinegar
75 g sugar
1 can (228 g) chopped pineapple
1/4 tsp salt
2 spring onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, cored and sliced
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- Drain the tofu and press dry with paper towels.
- Slice the tofu into cubes and toss in a bowl of olive oil and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Toss the tofu in 1/4 cup corn starch and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake the tofu for 25-30 minutes until crispy at 400 F.
- In the meantime, add the garlic and ginger to a Thermomix and chop on speed 5 for 5 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, vinegar, salt, sugar, pineapple, bell peppers, spring onions and cook for 10 minutes at 240 F on speed 2.
- Mix the flour, water and soy sauce together and add to the mixing bowl, then cook for 12 additional minutes on speed 1.
- Toss the sauce together with the crispy tofu and serve with your favorite side dish warm.
Disclaimer: I am a Thermomix® consultant and sell them as an independent business. “THERMOMIX,” “VORWERK,” “COOKKEY,” and “COOKIDOO” are a registered trademark of VORWERK (or its affiliates). VORWERK does not support, authorize or endorse this site.