Recently, I have been trying to go more vegetarian with my diet (see my blurb on animal cruelty in the “resources” section). This Vegetable Tian recipe is a wonderful vegetarian dish and it is very flavorful. It has zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, onion, garlic and is seasoned with thyme, pepper, olive oil, and a little bit of Parmesan cheese. I haven’t quite figured out what to serve it with, but it is pretty filling on its own. Perhaps some french bread? I have seen other recipes use breadcrumbs, which I will try next time I make this healthy dish. What is your favorite vegetarian recipe? I need some more ideas
Recipe adapted from Barefoot in Paris, 2004.
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 russet potatoes or 4-5 gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp thyme
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash, peel and slice vegetables.
- Saute onions and garlic in heated olive oil in a medium skillet for 7 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic to the bottom of a pie dish, and layer sliced vegetables around in 3 circles.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme, and drizzle 1-2 tbsp olive oil over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Let cool briefly before serving.
This post is sponsored by: