Happy Sunday! Ohh San Francisco why must you make me so lazy today by being foggy outside?! I can usually see the downtown skyscrapers from the living room window, but not today. Its so gloomy outside! I wanted to get up early and go on a run… Instead of running outside this morning I think I will go to the gym. Last night Fabi and I met some friends in the Marina District and saw the new Bourne movie. Has anyone seen it? I haven’t seen the others, so it was hard to compare. I was home alone in the afternoon yesterday before we left, so I thought about making something fun – double dipped apples first coated in peanut butter and then dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with chopped nuts. O.M.G. they were incredible. They finished much more quickly than I thought they would-the whole process only took around 1 hour, and it was so worth it. I love peanut butter apples for a snack in the afternoon, but chocolate peanut butter apples is 10000x better =) Tips: To slice the apples, I used one of those easy apple slicers-you can find a cheap on on Amazon or Walmart. To melt the chocolate, I used a little dipper crockpot – I love these little guys they make the chocolate PERFECT for dipping! Again, Amazon probably has them pretty cheap. Use toothpicks – it might get a little messy! Grease your fingers with butter to help spread the peanut butter evenly over the apples. **I find it much easier to work with NATURAL creamy peanut butter because it have oils already where the mainstream brands do not have as much oil since they use hydrogenated oils!! And its healthier too…
- 1 gala apple
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp shortening
- Creamy, natural peanut butter
- Wash and slice the apple in slivers.
- Line a tray with wax paper (make sure it fits in your freezer!).
- Grab the apple slivers in the bottom center, and dip apple slivers in peanut butter upside down so the peel is facing the ceiling, using greased fingers to help spread the peanut butter over the apple.
- Place the slivers peel side down on the wax paper (I don’t coat the peel side with peanut butter for easier handling).
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Melt 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a little dipper crockpot or double boiler.
- Stir chocolate well with a spoon, then dip peanut butter-coated apples the same way as before (peel facing up the ceiling, with fingers pinching the apple in the center of the peel side), twisting to cover in chocolate.
- Shake off excess chocolate, and place back peel side down onto the wax paper.
- Sprinkle immediately with chopped peanuts.
- Let stand 15 minutes to harder, or refrigerate until ready to eat.
This post is sponsored by: