Did you have a nice weekend? I had a relaxing Sunday, and even though the weather was gloomy all weekend in San Francisco, I didn’t mind. I caught up on all of my chores (laundry, cleaning, etc.), so the weekend went by fast for me! It was so nice to have a day where I didn’t have any deadlines to meet or work to do. I realized how sad it was that I felt so happy about this, and how long it has been since I have had a real day off all to myself!
Since I had the time, for lunch I wanted to try a new recipe…red lentil chicken stew. Stews are my absolute favorite comfort foods, especially on cold days like today. It was like heaven biting into tender pieces of chicken covered in a variety of spices, and the soft lentils mixed with juicy tomatoes and onions. I haven’t been so excited about a recipe turning out so delicious in a long time! This red lentil chicken stew recipe is definitely going on my “week night dinners” list. It is so flavorful!
Although it seems like it takes a long time to cook, most of the time is waiting for the stew to simmer in the oven for an hour and a half (your house will smell amazing!). The preparation is actually really easy.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless, organic free-range chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- ½ onion, finely diced
- ⅓ cup split red lentils
- 1 cup chopped organic cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock (*4 cups if you want more of a soup)
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots or mango
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F.
- Slice each chicken breast in half, yielding four strips.
- Coat the chicken in olive oil and cumin, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in an oven-proof baking dish and brown chicken (about 2 minutes on each side).
- Remove and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the pan, along with the onions and garlic. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, lentils, chicken stock, tomatoes and dried apricots and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts on top, cover, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve over jasmine rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.