Last week I went to one of my favorite places in the world – ok well, favorite food related places in the world – the Farmers’ Market! We are lucky to have several here in San Francisco. Actually, there are a few going on around the city almost every single day! I bought a lot of organic produce, and decided to make a potato and broccoli cheese soup. I have never been very fond of broccoli, but when it is mixed together with cheddar cheese and potatoes in a soup, magic happens. You will barely notice you are eating broccoli! Next time I think I will add carrots as well, but the broccoli and potatoes are definitely satisfying on their own in this soup recipe. I used my new Kitchen Aid Food Processor that my mom and dad gave us for our wedding – that thing is amazing for soups! It does all the chopping for me 🙂 Amazon usually has great prices for kitchen appliances, so if you are looking to get one sometime check there first.
I went to a different Farmers’ Market this time and discovered this amazing German bakery. When I go back next time, I will definitely buy three times a much bread as I did because Fabi and I ate everything in 24 hours :/ Find out where your closest local Farmers’ Market is – you might be surprised and have one right down the street from you. I highly recommend checking it out and supporting your local farmers! Have a great week! XoXo
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ onion
- 3 stalks of celery
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1½ cups chopped broccoli
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Melt butter in a large stock pot.
- Chop onion and celery by hand or in a food processor.
- Add to the melted butter over medium heat. Stir occasionally for 7 minutes.
- Peel and chop potatoes into small cubes (bite-sized).
- Wash and chop broccoli in food processor or by hand in very small pieces.
- Stir flour into onion and celery, then add 3 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, broccoli and seasonings and cover. Boil for 25 minutes or until potatoes are at desired tenderness.
- Turn off heat and stir in milk and cheddar cheese.
- Taste and add desired seasonings (you can try a wide variety, but if you are unsure what to add start with parsley!).
This post is sponsored by: