I owe my interest in cooking and baking to my mom and grandma, the 2 most special women in my life! This fruit cake recipe is my grandma’s original recipe, and she and my mom make them every Christmas for friends and family. Enjoy a warm slice with a glass of cold milk.
|Grandma’s Fruit Cake||
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 3 cups of water
- 1 lb raisins
- 2 cups of fruit mix
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 3 beaten eggs
- Preheat oven to 275 ºF.
- In a large pot, combine sugar, butter, water, raisins, and fruit mix.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool overnight.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and spices together. [img src=”http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/downsized951211011755.jpg” /]
- Add alternately with eggs to raisin mixture.
- Pour into foil-lined & greased loaf pans until 2/3 full. [img src=”http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/downsized951211011812.jpg” /]
- Bake at 275 ºF for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Test by sticking toothpick in center (ready if toothpick comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and brush twice generously with brandy, once while hot and once when cool.