I could never get tired of eating Insalata Caprese! It tastes so fresh and I just love the different flavors from the basil, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. The other day I wanted to make it for dinner, but I always feel bad feeding my husband just salad for dinner. I remembered I had some prosciutto that I needed to use up in my refrigerator, and thought it would be fun to wrap the tomato, basil and mozzarella cheese in prosciutto slices. I drizzled them with olive oil and they were so good! I think they are a great appetizer (which is what they turned out to be since we were both still hungry after eating this batch). Prosciutto is cured, so you can eat it as-is, but I think it tastes really good crisped a little in the oven. This might be tricky because of the mozzarella cheese though, so I didn’t want to try it this time.
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 8 1-inch cubes fresh mozzarella cheese
- 8 organic fresh basil leaves
- 4 organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Stack ½ of a cherry tomato onto a 1-inch mozzarella cube and place on top of a basil leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap with 1 slice of prosciutto, fat-trimmed if desired.
- Insert a toothpick into the top to hold together.
- Repeat until you have 8 rolls.
- Drizzle with olive oil just before serving.
Happy Belated Father’s Day to all of you wonderful dads out there, I hope you had a fun weekend!
This past weekend we went camping north of San Francisco and hiked around Salt Point State Park. The scenery was breathtaking! Here are a few of my favorite shots…